Monday, June 13, 2016

The School Days are Over




I Will Arise and Go Now
with apologies to William Butler Yeats
I will arise and go now, and go to Classroom 3,
and forty winks have there, while seated down the back;
for MacDonald will drone on like a bumbling honey bee
about potatoes and how they once turned black.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow.
Forty golden minutes till the lunchtime bell rings;
I hope that Roger Whitworth doesn't stab me in the toe
with one of those compassy things.

I will arise and go now, to Hist'ry I will stray,
to hear a lengthy soliloquy on famine lore;
while I lean back against the wall and drift away,
I hope he does not hear me snore.

by Peter Goulding
in volume 4 issue 2

Buy a Copy

Return to the Online TOC

1 comment:

  1. The Famine's now a boring history class
    which makes a boy nod drowsily in school
    How happy tis that he need never fast
    and never know the lash of hunger's rule.

    ReplyDelete

What say ye?