Monday, September 26, 2016

Well Desserted






Chocolate Sonnet 18
with a nod to William Shakespeare
Shall I compare thee to a crème brûlée?
They are quite scorched by fires which cremate.
And am I tempted by the sweet soufflé?
They take so long and are too delicate.
Sometimes too hot the pie of apple burns,
Despite silky vanilla ice cream cool.
And so every angel food cake doth yearn,
To be desir'd as thee, the crowning jewel.
But thy eternal flavor shall not fade,
Nor lose panache, nor thy feathers ruffle,
Nor shall death touch thee in tropical shade,
With quick ganache fill'd, my darling truffle.
So long as men can breathe, or tongues can taste,
So long lives thee, until consumed in haste.

by Bartholomew Barker
in volume 5 issue 1

Buy a Copy

Return to the Online TOC

4 comments:

  1. Why are you telling everyone about my thievery from Shakespeare? I think I hear the bobbies at my door now. And to think I would've gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

    ReplyDelete

What say ye?